Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Yogadog Dog Training

Recently a few people have asked for my "credentials", as well as my bio for fundraising events where I donated in kind. So I wrote this and thought it worth sharing. I began working with dogs and dog training as a hobby ten years ago.  Over the years I volunteered as a dog walker at shelters and also raised money for local rescues. Five years ago I began getting seriously interested in dog training with the rehabilitation of my two rescued dogs Holly and Miko, but this quickly became a passion. In 2009 I began “Don’t Give up Dog Training”, a free resource site for people with adopted rescued dogs. In March of 2011, I graduated with honours from the International Career School of Canada, as a certified professional dog trainer with over 1000 volunteer hours as well as a growing client listThat same year I began Yogadog Dog Training, based in North Burnaby, BC.
Yogadog Dog Training combines a variety of training methods, traditional and new age, to find systems that work for all kinds of dogs and people. The programs Yogadog offers are loosely and humorously based on practices of Yoga. All the courses are aimed at improving the bond that the dog owner has with his or her pet and establishing better communication. The idea behind Yogadog is to provide people with a foundation in basic obedience, but also to teach them to keep active with their dogs and to give them the best life they can have. It is my goal to keep dogs out of shelters by making dog training affordable and doable, as well as fun!
Yoga means “oneness” and my philosophy is that having a connection with dogs is based on much more than obedience, but begins with basic training and engagement. Much like in yoga, in dog training the student first learns the postures, then develops endurance and finally masters the discipline. Beginner obedience and beginner agility are two of my most popular classes. They run six weeks and are a good foundation for other classes or stand alone as a great way to better connect and communicate with your dog. Other popular classes are Puppy Prana, CanineCardio Bootcamp and Canine Kundalini, for growly dogs!
Currently I am a member of the CAPPDT. In addition to this, I completed an intensive obedience program in April of 2011, at the world acclaimed Michael Ellis School in California. I continues to educate myself working with other trainers as mentors, as well as attending seminars and read books on dog psychology, marker/clicker training methods and dog aggression an ongoing basis. I continues to expand my knowledge and to provide up to date information and links to dog lovers. I believe we owe it to our dogs to give them more than just shelter. We owe them friendship, leadership and love!

5 comments:

  1. houlton institute is an online dog care course that will help you in training your dog perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these valauable tips Yogadog. It is been observed that sadly some people don’t walk their dogs, but dog owners who exercise with their pooches have an advantages beyond health benefits. So train your dog today, to get better input and advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Private Dog Training Sparks Maryland

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Private Dog Training Baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great inspiring article. I am really enjoy reading your post because its very unique information for me. Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful post.
    Best Treats To Use for Dog Training
    Best Chew Toys for Lab Puppies
    Best Chew Toys for Lab

    ReplyDelete